Move over dolphins. You're no longer the only marine mammal that can calm the ravaged, stressed out souls of man, woman and child alike.Ron Nurwisah, The Huffington Post Canada
Our first project to come out of Ethercycle Labs is arguably the most successful. It's a simple image macro site of inspirational messages that’s given us insight into the power of social media and how we can leverage it. Despite never promoting the site, it now receives more than 1 million pageviews per month.What we learned about going viral:
- If something is compelling enough, people will share it. You can't force people to share crappy content.
- Enable frictionless sharing. Simple buttons with recognizable icons is all you need. No need for obnoxious pop-up windows.
- Facebook drives more traffic than any other social network. Seven times as much as Twitter.
- While all of the manatees have ended up on Pinterest, Pinterest drives the least amount of traffic. It's drive-by pinning.
- If you want to be social, you have to be mobile friendly. 1 in 5 visitors are using a mobile device. Over half of these are iPhones.
- Be prepared for the traffic. CloudFlare, our content delivery network, allowed our VPS hosting to easily keep up with the sudden popularity.
Additionally, we're able to use CalmingManatee's audience to research browser and device usage statistics, providing us guidance on what to support for our clients.
You can learn more from our interview with the Huffington Post.