Traditionally, the problem with browser statistics is that the research data is based on developer-biased group of users. To avoid that problem, we used Google Analytics data from a chain of Chicago pizza restaurants as our basis for the average user. With 3,041 unique visitors looking for pizza during the month of September, Gulliver's data should provide a representative sample of Chicago's average user. Other conclusions suggested by our data:
- Dial-up is nearly non-existent.
- 1024x768 is the most common resolution by far, which is good news for the 960 grid system.
- 1 in 6 computers are Macs.
- IE is anything but dead, with IE8 taking the largest individual market share.
- 1 in 10 browsers were on an embedded device
- 2 out of 3 embedded devices are Apple products.
- The web is moving forward!